USF Health Honors & Awards

Alum Dr. Daniel Haight featured in local mag for Polk County public health career

The November issue of Central Florida Doctor spotlighted the work of Daniel Haight, MD, FACP, associate professor of medicine in the Division of Infectious Disease and International Medicine at the USF Morsani College of Medicine.

Dr. Haight, who is also a Morsani College of Medicine alum, was recently named associate vice president of Community Health for Lakeland Regional Medical Center, where he intends to focus on community health, health information and access to health care. The new post brings to a close his work as director of the Polk County Health Department, a job he held since 1996.

Central Florida Doctor is the publication of the Polk County Medical Association. The feature article looks at Dr. Haight’s work locally and nationally and his plans and goals for work at Lakeland Regional Medical Center. In his cover shot, he holds a bowl meant for the Empty Bowls Gala hosted in February by the Agape Food Bank (a program of Catholic Charities of Central Florida) to raise awareness about the struggle to end hunger in our community.

“The event will auction off bowls painted by local community members and I was invited to paint anything I wanted on my bowl,” Dr. Haight said. “I decided to paint the national logo for Public Health that emphasizes the three duties my staff and I gladly do for Polk County. It was an honor to be selected for a feature article.”

Dr. Haight’s new role was also featured recently in the Lakeland Ledger.