The University of South Florida College of Nursing has opened general registration for Spring 2012 semester for its course “Introduction to Military and Veteran Health”—NSP 3640.
This is a great elective for any USF student who is interested in learning more about the unique healthcare needs of our military and veteran population.
Register now as seats are expected to fill quickly!
Introduction to Military and Veteran Health is an eight module online course that highlights many of the unique healthcare needs of our military and veteran population. The course starts with an overview of our veteran population, the culture of the military, the evolution of veteran healthcare, the military family, and will then discuss health related topics such as post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), polytrauma, women veteran health issues, and military sexual trauma (MST).
To view a video preview of the course – Click Here
Approximately 1.6 million of the nation’s 23 million veterans live in the state of Florida. With roughly 70% of veterans currently seeking medical care outside of VA system, it is imperative that all healthcare providers have an understanding of who our military and veteran population is and the different healthcare needs of this population. This course is designed to prepare you with valuable insights and skills needed to recognize the unique healthcare needs of the military, veterans and their families, and ensure they receive the best care possible. You will be in great demand in the front lines of healthcare to support those who served on the front lines in the military!
- The Course is 3 credit hours, and will follow the USF Academic Calendar.
- If you are not admitted as a USF student you may take the course as a non-degree seeking student.
- Please contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions for the process to apply as a non-degree seeking student (813-974-3350)
- USF tuition and fees apply
- If you are a veteran interested in taking courses at USF, please visit the USF Vereran’s Services website or contact them directly at (813) 974-2291.
- If you are an RN interested in this course as part of a degree seeking program at USF please view our RN to BS program brochure
- If you are interested in auditing this course please view the USF policy in the current USF Undergraduate Catalog (page 34).
This course was the subject of a recent story by Howard Altman of the Tampa Tribune USF course aids health providers with vets’ care
-RESTORE LIVES at USF-
Through ‘RESTORE LIVES AT USF: Education and Research to Rehabilitate and Restore the Lives of Veterans, Service Members and their Families’, USF College of Nursing faculty develop life enhancing treatments through nursing research, and educate nurses with the knowledge and skills specific to the needs of the military, veterans and their families. The ART study is an example of type of innovative research that the USF College of Nursing is developing to improve the health of our honored service members and veterans.