USF Health Mental Health Awareness Week
Presented by: Morsani College of Medicine, School of Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation Sciences, College of Pharmacy, College of Nursing, and College of Public Health
Questions: Please contact Chad Whistle (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Mental Health Awareness Week is a USF Health-wide initiative that the Morsani College of Medicine (sponsored by the MCOM Wellness Council), School of Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation Sciences, College of Pharmacy, College of Nursing, and College of Public Health are putting together for its students the week of October 14 – 18, 2013. The theme of the week is, “Drugs and Mental Health.” Events for the week are (for students only):
Tuesday, October 15
- Dr. Karniski, Developmental Pediatrician
- LVHN Auditorium, 12pm-1pm, Pizza (Lunch will be provided on a first come, first serve basis)
- ADD & ADHD is very prevalent in a General Pediatrics practice. Learn how to identify ADD/ADHD and how untreated or improperly treated ADD/ADHD is one of the largest public health concerns that our country is currently facing.
- Lunch Co-Sponsored by the MCOM Pediatric Interest Group and College of Pharmacy
- Mindfulness Meditation with Dr. Don Wheeler
- 1096/1097 12pm-1pm
- Mindfulness Meditation is a type of meditation which involves focusing oneself on the present. It allows a person to be aware of one’s own thoughts and actions in the present without judgment. Mindfulness Meditation may improve mood, decrease stress and boost immune function.
Wednesday, October 16
- The Florida Recovery Center
- 1096/1097, 12pm-1pm, Pita’s Republic (Lunch will be provided on a first come, first serve basis)
- Substance Abuse & Addiction: How Health Care Professionals Should Identify & Treat It
- Lunch Co-Sponsored by the MCOM AMSA, College of Nursing, and College of Pharmacy
Thursday, October 17
- Dr. Kevin McDowell, Psychology Resident, USF Counseling Center
- 1096/1097, 12pm-1pm
- Students/Healthcare Providers: Coping Mechanisms, Stigmas, Recognition and Problem Solving
- Movie: Silver Linings Playbook
- LVHN Auditorium, 5pm-9pm
- The movie begins with Pat, a man with bipolar disorder who is released from a psychiatric hospital and moves back in with his parents. Relationships between family members and love interests are examined as each cope with their personal and mental issues.
Friday, October 18
- Massages; Everest University Massage Therapy Students
- Nursing Rotunda, 10:30am-1pm
- Massage Therapy students from Everest University will provide 10—minute chair massages to USF Health students. All clients will need to complete a brief medical intake form prior to being seen to ensure that each person is receiving the best stress-relieving and calming experience for mental health and wellbeing.