A letter to my USF Health colleagues

Dear Colleagues,

It is with mixed emotions today that I tell you I have accepted a new position as president of Thomas Jefferson University and president and CEO of the Thomas Jefferson University Hospital System.

This is an exciting opportunity for me, and I am thrilled to be able to lead such highly regarded institutions during an era of rapid change. At the same time, I have truly enjoyed my nine years at USF Health, and I leave with a sense of pride in the work we have done to establish USF Health as a leader in health transformation and with great affection for the many friends and colleagues I have made here.

We have much to be proud of during this time, and I am grateful to all of you for what you have accomplished. These things include:

CAMLS-Building_Trolley

A few of the things USF Health can be proud of: CAMLS…

Forming USF Health – In 2005, we gathered our Colleges of Nursing, Medicine and Public Health, along with our physicians’ group, into one partnership, USF Health, and have now added our College of Pharmacy.

Opening CAMLS – It’s hard to overstate the importance of opening the world’s largest center for the assessment of technical and teamwork competence. CAMLS puts Tampa Bay on the map as an international center for health innovation and has become a key part of both USF Health’s future and Tampa Bay’s economic engine.

Partnering with The Villages – Our creative partnership to create “America’s Healthiest Hometown” is a model for both public health opportunities and for creating new models of patient-centered care.

exitdelivery_paidas_tumorresection

…our amazing teams of health professionals…

Starting SELECT – What does 1,100 miles matter when we’re trying to create a physician leadership program that values emotional intelligence skills? At USF Health, we never let little things like distance keep us from doing the things that will change the future.

Becoming the USF Health Morsani College of Medicine – Thanks to the generous gift from Carol and Frank Morsani, we are envisioning a new and transformative vision of medical education.

There are many more projects I could name, from PaperFree Florida to the groundbreaking research underway at the Byrd Alzheimer’s Institute to the advancement of the College of Nursing as a research powerhouse.  At the end of the day, they share a common theme. At USF Health, we believe that we can – and must – shape a vision of the future that promotes better health.

White_Coat-2011-230-copy

…and, most of all, our incredible students.

I have been especially fortunate to have worked at USF under the dynamic leadership of President Judy Genshaft. None of what we have done at USF Health would be possible without President Genshaft’s energy, drive and vision of what USF can become.  I will always be grateful to her.

USF Health is fortunate to have such amazing students, faculty and staff, and I know you all will continue to do great things in the years to come.  I hope that my legacy is that I created an environment where individuals, divisions and departments could best succeed. USF Health is a remarkable place, and it is my honor and privilege to have worked with you all.

Sincerely,

Steve