Neuroscientist Laura Blair’s research featured in eNeuro blog

Laura Blair, PhD, an assistant professor of molecular medicine and member of the USF Health Byrd Alzheimer’s Center, was featured in the April 2019 blog of eNeuro, the online scientific journal of the Society for Neuroscience.

In the wide-ranging interview – Beyond the Paper: A Conversation with Dr. Laura Blair – she discusses her recent publication as lead author in eNeuro describing the cellular and behavioral deficiencies in a transgenic mouse model in which the FKBP5 gene is overexpressed. Increased FKBP5 has been associated with several psychiatric disorders, including Alzheimer’s disease and others with impairments in learning and memory.

The study by Dr. Blair and colleagues found that the disease-associated chaperone protein FKBP51 impairs cognitive function by accelerating the recycling of AMPA receptors, which are critically important for nearly all aspects of brain function, memory and cognition.

Dr. Blair also describes the focus of her laboratory and her research philosophy, including some advice she offers to students she mentors:  “As an extension of my late mentor’s philosophy, I always tell my students that good data are good data. Statistical significance does not automatically mean great data ­­­— as long as the data are trustworthy, they are valuable results. So, I ask my students to show me all of the data, rather than just the asterisks.”

For a previous USF Health News faculty spotlight on Dr. Blair, click here.