MCOM professor receives national honors

Gianluca Del Rossi, PhD.

Gianluca Del Rossi, PhD, recently earned recognition as the National Athletic Trainers’ Association Most Distinguished Athletic Trainer.   The award recognizes NATA members who have demonstrated exceptional commitment to leadership, volunteer service, advocacy and distinguished professional activities as an athletic trainer.

Dr. Del Rossi, who has been an athletic trainer for 21 years, has been with the USF Athletic Training program for 13 years and currently serves as executive director of the USF Health Concussion Center and director of the Sports Medicine and Athletic Related Trauma (SMART) Institute.  The SMART institute, funded by the Florida Legislature, is a comprehensive sports safety program that uses a multidisciplinary approach with a team of professionals through education, research, injury care and prevention, thus elevating the standard of care for the youth, recreational, high school, collegiate and professional athlete.

“I’m truly honored to be recognized with this award. It’s gratifying to know that I’ve been able to contribute to my profession in a meaningful way and that my peers value the time and effort I’ve dedicated over the years.”