Emergency -

University of South Florida

USF Health researchers awarded KidneyCure’s Carl W. Gottschalk Research Scholar Grants

Jin Wei, PhD, and Jie Zhang, PhD, both postdoctoral scholars in the Department of Molecular Pharmacology and Physiology at the USF Health Morsani College of Medicine, were each recently awarded KidneyCure’s Carl W. Gottschalk Research Scholar Grant for their separate work in kidney diseases. The two MCOM postdocs were among six 2020 recipients nationwide of the Carl W. Gottschalk grants, which help young biomedical investigators achieve independent research careers with funding of up to $100,00 a year for two years.

KidneyCure is the American Society of Nephrology’s foundation. This year’s recipients in all grant programs received a total of more than $3 million to support their research to combat kidney disease, which affects more than 850 million people worldwide.

Dr. Wei’s project was titled the “Role of Macula Densa RXFP1 in Gestational Hypertension.” In his grant proposal, he said his research focuses on “whether the relaxin receptor 1 at the macula densa plays an important role in control of renal and systemic hemodynamics during normal pregnancy and preeclampsia.”

Postdoctoral scholar Jin Wei, PhD, recently received a grant from KidneyCure, the foundation of the American Society of Nephrology.

“I am very excited to receive the Carl W. Gottschalk Research Scholar Grant from ASN,” Dr. Wei said. “I am greatly indebted to my mentor and my colleagues who were instrumental in this project. My career goal is to become a successful independent investigator in biomedical research and a leader in the field of renal physiology and hypertension. Scientifically, my goals are to make significant contributions to cardiovascular research and translate basic science into the improvement of healthcare quality and disease treatment.”

Postdoctoral scholar Jie Zhang, PhD, was also recently awarded a separate Carl W. Gottschalk Research Scholar Grant from KidneyCure.

Dr. Zhang’s project was titled “A new mechanism for the sex differences in diabetic glomerular hyperfiltration and kidney injury.” Her grant proposal said her research is investigating “whether the sodium-glucose cotransporter 1 (SGLT1) at the macula densa of kidney plays an important role in the sex differences of diabetes-induced glomerular hyperfiltration and kidney injury.”

“I am really excited to receive Carl W. Gottschalk Research Scholar Grant from ASN,” Dr. Zhang said. “My career goal is to become a successful independent investigator in basic and translational research with a focus on renal pathophysiology. This grant will serve as a critical milestone in my academic career and significantly facilitate my goal achievement.”