Emergency -

University of South Florida

Dr. Joanne Valeriano-Marcet honored with national teaching award

Joanne Valeriano-Marcet, MD, USF Health Rheumatology fellowship director and professor in the USF Health Morsani College of Medicine, recently received a Parker J. Palmer Courage to Teach Award by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME.) This recognition honors program directors who find innovative ways to teach and inspire residents and provide quality healthcare to patients.

Dr. Joanne Valeriano-Marcet was honored with a national teaching award, ACGME’s Parker J. Palmer Courage to Teach Award.

“It is a great honor to have been selected to receive this award as I know that I am amongst the many outstanding program directors who are equally dedicated and deserving,” said Dr. Valeriano-Marcet, who has been the rheumatology fellowship director since 2007. “My passion for teaching medicine is fueled by many outstanding mentors, students, and patients who have helped to shape my journey. I can sum up with these simple words etched on a plaque given to me by a former student, ‘To teach is to touch eternity.’”

Dr. Valeriano-Marcet’s nomination included several letters of support that highlighted her many achievements, including being named the 2019-2020 Outstanding Program Director at USF Health Morsani College of Medicine.

“She has an excellent knowledge of aligning milestones with the USF fellowship curriculum, rotational goals and objectives, and evaluations,” wrote Cuc Mai, MD, senior associate dean of graduate medical education for Morsani College of Medicine. “She has designed the rheumatology curriculum to enhance medical knowledge and patient care by incorporating didactics and clinical experiences in other disciplines important to the practice of rheumatology. She is innovative in medical education. She designed multiple online rheumatology curricula. She started a biannual Rheumatology night at the USF MCOM student-run free clinic to teach health disparities to fellows.” 

Helen Bateman, MD, associate professor of rheumatology at USF Health, wrote “(Dr. Valeriano-Marcet) personifies the role of superb teacher and physician. She has a true love of knowledge and teaching. I have been lucky enough to work closely with her over the last 10 years in my capacities as a faculty colleague and she is an inspiration to all.”

USF Health chief rheumatology fellow, Hamayon Babary, MD, added, “I have had the luxury to train under her in my continuity clinics and have benefited tremendously from her mentoring. She constantly motivates fellows in our program to excel in all aspects of our academic training.”

The ACGME sets standards and awards accreditation for U.S. graduate medical education (residency and fellowship) programs and the institutions that sponsor them. The award is named for Parker J. Palmer, a renowned writer and traveling teacher who is senior associate of the American Association for Higher Education.