Emergency -

University of South Florida

Medical student recognized for philanthropy

Sam Harris, USF Health Morsani College of Medicine senior medical student.

Sam Harris, fourth-year medical student, joined the ranks of some of the most celebrated names in the National Football League when he received a Steinberg Denicola Humanitarian Award. The SDHA recognizes outstanding individuals in the NFL community that devote and dedicate their time to address community issues and the welfare of humanity.

Harris made headlines in 2020 as a USF Hero when he orchestrated a mask drive with Fresh Kitchen, a Florida restaurant chain.  Harris arranged to have several locations serve as mask collection sites.  All masks were inspected for usability, washed and sanitized before being redistributed. Harris delivered masks to high-risk patient populations and their families including refugees and homeless patients from Tampa Bay Street Medicine and the student-run Refugee Clinic.

“I really don’t think I deserve this award and I have no idea why they picked me for it. But, it’s pretty Incredible,” Harris said when he learned he was selected.

Harris received his award Feb. 2 during the Annual Leigh Steinberg Super Bowl Party.