Emergency -

University of South Florida

Karim Ibrahim Earns Culture Coin for Going Above the Call of Duty

If you’ve visited the USF Health Morsani Center for Advanced Healthcare during the COVID-19 pandemic, you may have had your temperature checked by Karim Ibrahim. Ibrahim owns his own professional videography and photography business, Ra Mediaa, but when COVID-19 impacted his business, he joined USF Health as a temporary employee. Even though Ibrahim hopes to return full-time to creative media, he goes above and beyond the call of duty to provide outstanding customer service in everything that he does.

On Wednesday, May 5th, 2021, Mark Moseley, MD, chief medical officer at USF Health, and Terri Ashmeade, MD, chief quality officer at USF Health, presented Ibrahim with a Culture Coin.

Mark Moseley, MD, and Terri Ashmeade, MD, present Karim Ibrahim with a Culture Coin.

The nomination came from a patient who visited the Morsani Center during one of Ibrahim’s shifts. “I was there for an appointment and when I was leaving, I was having issues getting an Uber to go home on my phone,” the USF Health patient, said. “A gentleman named Karim was at the door taking temperatures, and noticed I was having trouble and assisted me. He pulled out his phone and ordered me a Lyft home on his account that was over $55 and asked no questions. He stated that, ‘if you were my mom I would want to ensure she got home safe.’ I tried to tell him he didn’t need to do this but he insisted. This experience has restored my faith that there are still young people willing to help someone old like myself and I couldn’t be more thankful for what he did.”

Karim Ibrahim checks a visitor’s temperature outside the USF Health Morsani Center.

To help protect both visitors and clinical teams during the COVID-19 pandemic, USF Health closely monitors the official health guidelines of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Florida Department of Health, in order to implement new protocols for visitors arriving at any clinical facility. These ongoing measures include screenings at the entrance of the facilities, limiting patient visitors, social distancing inside waiting rooms and enforcing masks.