Thinking of Others – Panama
The College of Nursing completes international clinical experiences in Panama annually. We are proud to say that in 2011 by invitation from the Panama, Red Cross, 4 nursing faculty and 45 nursing students participated as Official Volunteers of the American Red Cross. With this official volunteer status, the USF Nursing team was able to transport approximately 400 lbs of much needed supplies to the only children’s orphanage in Panama reaching over 200 children, some with developmental disabilities.
However, there is a constant need. So this year, when shopping or cleaning out the closets, please keep the list of supplies below. We will have a donation box in the College of Nursing gathering space to accept supplies for this worthwhile endeavor now and throughout the semester.
- Shoes for young, school-aged children
- Sheets for hospital and psychiatric center patients’ twin and double sized beds
- Educationally-oriented toys and school supplies for Nutre Hogar “Nutrition for the Children” project that will include integration of nursing and education students in planning activities for preschoolers in Panama who attend this daily nutritional program
- Medical supplies (bandages, speculums, etc.)
- Personal hygiene supplies (soap, shampoos)
- Donations of funds for food, as it is best to purchase food items in Panama