USF Nursing celebrates new academic year, honors faculty and staff
USF College of Nursing kicked off the 2016-2017 academic year during an annual Opening Day event on Aug. 17. The event began with a welcome message from the college’s interim dean, Donna Petersen, ScD, MHS, CPH.
The day-long event included a series of presentations from USF Health and Nursing leadership, including Charles Lockwood, MD, senior vice president for USF Health and dean of the Morsani College of Medicine, to highlight the college’s 2015-2016 achievements as well discuss plans for the upcoming academic year.
“USF Nursing has accomplished a great deal in the past year – leading in many areas, so you should be proud of your success,” Dr. Lockwood told faculty and staff. “Moving forward, the college is in a great position to become a national leader in nursing research, education and practice.”
During the event, the college also honored faculty and staff with awards for their excellence in their respective areas.
- Mentor in Teaching Award – Carmen Rodriguez, PhD,
- Mentor in Research Award – John Clochesy, PhD,
- Innovative Teaching Award – Amanda Davis, MSN
- Clinical Excellence Teaching Award – Leslie Lockett, MSN
- New Instructor Award – Tiffany Gwartney, DNP
- Graduate Academic Nurse Educator Award – Kathi Katz, PhD
- Undergraduate Academic Nurse Educator Award – Leslie Lockett, MSN
- Online Teacher Award – Patricia A. O’Donnell, MS
- Simulation Excellence Award – Teresa Gore, PhD, DNP
- PhD Dissertation Mentor Award – Cecile Lengacher, PhD
- DNP Project Mentor Award – Cindy S. Tofthagen, PhD
- Clinical / Teaching Article of the Year Award – Constance Visovsky, PhD
- Faculty Leadership Award Susan Perry, PhD
- Professional Service Award – Melissa A. Culp, MSN/Ed.
- Community Service Award – Rebecca Lutz, MSN
- Outstanding Staff Leadership Award – Sally Galloway, MME
- Outstanding Staff Teamwork Award – Mark Freeman
- Outstanding New Staff Award – Chelsey Bevel
- Staff of the Year Award – Zuzana Moore, MA
- True Unsung Hero Award – Jean Vaccaro
The Opening Day event was also packed with fun activities including a photobooth where faculty and staff took photos in between meetings and presentations. The winning photo was selected to win a nursing bear.
For more photos from the Opening Day event, click here.
For related stories, click here.