USF Nursing staff members Shine at the 2012 USF Outstanding Staff Awards Ceremony, with both Outstanding Staff and Outstanding Team Awards
On April 2, 2013, the University of South Florida recognized 68 extraordinary individuals at the 2012 USF Outstanding Staff Awards. This year, one of eight USF Health staff members who won individual awards and the nine staff members who earned an award as a team for their outstanding work in 2012 were from The USF College of Nursing! Each year, USF employees from across campus are selected to win the award, which recognizes those who demonstrate excellence and performance that supports the overall values and standards of USF. At the event, each employee was spotlighted as he or she received a plaques and a check for $500. Joann Strobbe, associate vice president and chief financial officer for USF Health, presented the awards to USF Health awardees.
“I am so proud of our College staff members who won the USF Outstanding Awards,” said Dianne Morrison-Beedy, PhD, RN, WHNP-BC, FNAP, FAANP, FAAN, Dean of the College of Nursing and Senior Associate Vice President of USF Health. “This recognition is just a testament of the exceptional work we do here at USF College of Nursing as we Transform Healthcare and Transform Lives! . Congratulations everyone!”
Outstanding Staff Individual Award winner from the College of Nursing was Mari Miranda, Assistant to Associate Dean of Research. Miranda received the individual award for her incredible work ethic, dedication, multi-lingual skills, and professionalism. Some of the reasons why Miranda was chosen to receive the award include:
- She contributed to enhanced productivity at the College by improving and tracking of information about faculty and students. She sought training in Access database management, and developed two critical databases in Access, which tracks graduation, contact information, publication, and employment data of the USF College of Nursing PhD Alumni.
- She has also led the planning for a “Discovery Cafe” format research discussion. For this project, she developed materials that can be updated and re-used annually. She brought this project in under budget, assisted in the delivery of the event, and compiled all preparatory and follow up material that made USF Nursing wide examination of the research program a success.
Mari Miranda (first from Left) with other 2012 USF Outstanding Staff Award recipients from USF Health.
Cindy Munro, PhD, RN, ANP-BC, FAAN, Professor and Associate Dean for Research and Innovation at USF College of Nursing, nominated Miranda.
“She is exceptional because she actively seeks ways to improve the quality and efficiency of the Office of the Associate Dean for Research and Innovation at the College” Dr. Munro said. “She is engaged in the research mission of the College, and clearly goes above and beyond to contribute to the success of research projects in the College.”
The USF Nursing’s Research Center’s team was honored with the awards for demonstrating excellence and distinction that supports the overall values and standards of USF. Some of the reasons why the USF Nursing Research Center team was chosen for this award include:
- The team developed internal proposal submission and procedures to ensure that all proposals submitted by the College of Nursing are of the highest quality and are delivered to Sponsored Research in a timely manner.
- We have been told by faculty candidates that these services are unheard if at other universities. This kind of support greatly reduces the the burden of proposal development and allows the nurse researchers to concentrate on research design and methodology – very attractive to both experienced and novel researchers – and highly conducive to attracting new faculty and retaining current faculty.
The USF Nursing Research Center Outstanding Staff Team Award winners include:
- Cathryn Branch, Unit Research Administrator
- Paula Cairns, Nurse Researcher
- Sue Ann Girling, Research Grant Assistant
- Susan Johanson, Unit Research Administrator
- Rajendra Kadel, Data Manager
- Kevin Kip, PhD, FAHA, Professor and Executive Director, Research Center
- Mari Miranda, Administrative Assistant
- Janice Walker, Unit Research Administrator
- Trudy Wittenberg, Unit Research Administrator
Meredeth Rowe, RN, PhD, FGSA, FAAN, Professor and Endowed Chair for USF Nursing, was one of the Nursing faculty members who nominated the Research Center team.
“I can’t express my support strong enough for this amazing research team,” Dr. Rowe said. “It would be impossible for me to be a successful research without their support from idea to project conclusion.”
USF Health highlighted the USF Nursing Outstanding Staff Award winners in a story published on April 3. To read that story click here.
Photos by Aimee Blodgett, USF Marketing and Communications